Fort Delaware Society

Society Restoration


Coast Defense

The page last updated February 10, 2012

Prison Camp

 Return to Website Directory

Society E-Mail

    Field Cannon Restoration   

Click here to see a slide presentation in pdf format on the restoration of the field guns currently on display on the parade ground at historic Fort Delaware.

These guns are 6-pounders and were the preferred field gun of the light artillery prior to the adoption of the more famous Napoleon used in the Civil War.

The February 2003 issue of the Fort Delaware Notes contains two articles about these guns for those interested in more details. The article entitled "History of the Two Field Cannon at Fort Delaware" written by Mr. William E. Craven details the history of these guns and their connection to Fort Delaware. Rob Howard supervised the restoration of these historic pieces and wrote a detailed article about the work itself entitled "The Rare Six-Pounders".

Call the Society office at (302) 834-1630 to inquire about purchasing available copies.  

All text and photographs presented on this website are the property of the Fort Delaware Society unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced in any form without written permission of the Fort Delaware Society.

For further information, contact the Webmaster Hugh Simmons.